Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Annie Noethlich: Social Worker, Middle School Teacher, Turtle Rescuer


That's right, I am a turtle rescuer. As I was driving on Sebring Parkway, I saw what I thought was road kill, thought it was an armadillo. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was a turtle who was just trying to cross the road (I wonder if he met a chicken along the way). Well, I drove past thinking how sad it was, because he was a long way from Dinner Lake and Lake Jackson and I thought that someone should do something. Then those commercials popped into my head, where everyone is standing around looking at a piece of trash and is appalled that someone would litter, but no one does anything, or the women in the bathroom, where a sink is overflowing, and everyone is talking about it but no one does anything. Then someone picks up the trash and another turns off the sink. They were really good commercials about not just standing for something, but doing something.

Well, I decided to do something. I flipped a U-turn and then another and got back to the little guy (he actually wasn't so little, I would say his shell was about 12 inches long) and put him in the back of the Cruiser (I am so glad I wasn't in my car, he would have had to go on the back seat). Luckily no one hit me and were all able to move to the other lane. I then drove to the nearest beach I could think of on Lake Jackson, which was Hidden Beach and drove down and then took the little guy close to the water and then walked away. I got a few feet away, turned around and looked and he ran for the water, it was really cute!

So that now makes two turtles I have rescued! I saved one a few years ago on Lake View Drive, he was also crossing the road, although away from the water, so Scott stopped the car, I got out, picked him up (and prayed he wouldn't bite me or pee on me) and put him near the water, only to watch him run for it and swim away.

I am now adding Turtle Rescuer to my title. I guess I should add cat rescuer too, since when we were in the apartments, I found two baby kittens whose eyes weren't even open yet, nursed them with mini baby bottles, until we could take them to the ASPCA. I imagine they didn't make it, cause they were so little and the shelter is so over crowded, but I like to think that at least I gave them a chance.

Well, now that the latest rescue is over, I guess I will go back to cleaning the house. Pretty good excitement for before 9:00 this morning!

No comments: